Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Polarizing filters- advice needed

  1. #1
    Inactive Member The Woddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 15th, 1999
    Posts
    28
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm off to Ethiopia on monday (first overseas directing gig- hurrah!) with a PD150 to shoot some sustainable development aid projects.

    I've managed to borrow a polarizing filter, but I'm unsure if/when/how I should be using it.

    Any (sensible) advice much appreciated.

    W

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Twister, that was a good short explanation. If you click on my Super-8 in the Digital Age signature link, look at the top of the forum page for the Polarizer link and see if that thread gives you any additional help.

    It may be more technical, but the issue of linear Polarizers versus circular polarizers may or may not be an issue.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 29, 2002 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Super8 Filmmaking in the DigitalAge ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member twister!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2001
    Posts
    1,034
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Polarizers are most useful for increasing general outdoor colour saturation and contrast (ie make the image more vibrant). Polarizers can also control unwanted reflections from surfaces such as glass and water (when shot at a 45ish degree angle).

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 29, 2002 12:11 PM: Message edited by: twister! ]</font>

  4. #4
    Inactive Member SouthWalesFilmClub's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 8th, 2000
    Posts
    56
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I bought a polarizing filter for my pd150 and took it back to the shop because I really couldn't see a difference. The build in ND filters work fine.

  5. #5
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ND filters are different from Polarizing filters.

    What could be happening is the cameras automatic settings are changing the Polarizers affect.

    In essence "rebalancing" the picture.

    If you use a polarizing filter, it may be wise to first white balance before putting the filter on, then saving the white balanced setting in memory, then adding the polarizer to the camera.

    Otherwise the camera's auto settings may cancel the affect of the polarizer.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member steven_craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2001
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    nah, could be because you have a linear polariser so when you zoom the effect of the polariser is undone

    or

    you dont really notice it because its primarily designed for reflections (it can be used to make blue skies bluer but its cr?p - id just use a blue grad)

  7. #7
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I doubt Polarizers are **** . They work great with film. Perhaps one needs a certain amount of resolution for them to work properly. [img]graemlins/angel.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member machead's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 23rd, 2000
    Posts
    410
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Did you remember to rotate the filter. I'm assuming you got a circular polariser, which are far more effective.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member SouthWalesFilmClub's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 8th, 2000
    Posts
    56
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    yeah I know how polarisers work. The circular Hoyer I got for my pd150 cost only ?20 and I realise I should pay a lot more for a truly good effect. Looking at the ones at BHphotovideo.com there are many to choose from. Which one do you recommend?

    The effect I'm after is making the sky really dark blue. I have a grad blue filter too but I want a stronger effect.

  10. #10
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It would be best to do a test with the one you have to see when it is at it's optimal. The issue of the camera re white balancing the polarizer may or may not be an issue.

    You may want to run tape and try the polarizer first
    with the camera's auto white sensor on, then switch to preset function and try the polarizer again.

    Use your camera's mike to recite what it is you are doing. If you notice a difference please share.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •